SCG spectators evicted, alleged taunts, Mohammed Siraj, cricket news 2021

0
Advertisements


Australia has reacted with disgust after the New Year’s Test match between Australia and India was interrupted by an incident involving six spectators at the SCG on Sunday afternoon.

In the 87th over of Australia’s second innings, Indian bowler Mohammed Siraj stopped play to call attention to an incident in the crowd. After talking to Siraj and Indian captain Ajinkya Rahane, the umpires and a cluster of security guards quickly migrated towards the fine leg boundary.

Watch Australia v India Test Series Live & Ad-Break Free During Play with the Fox Cricket commentary team. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >

Players waited in the field for approximately 10 minutes as police questioned a handful of spectators in the SCG’s Brewongle Stand.

Australian captain Tim Paine at one stage looked fully prepared to march towards the fence and assist in the search for the culprits.

Eventually, four attendees were asked to leave the venue before play resumed, and two other men followed them soon after.

A Cricket Australia spokesperson confirmed the patrons had been removed from the stadium, and NSW Police was investigating the matter.

Former Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist said on Fox Cricket: “If anyone has been throwing frightfully horrible comments around as has been alleged, I think they will be able to track down who it is — and not just the ICC, hopefully it’s the police that find out who it is.”

Australian great Michael Hussey added: “If there’s been abuse directed towards the players, just kick them out straight away. Not welcome ever.”

The incident comes after India reportedly lodged a complaint to the ICC after two players allegedly faced racial abuse from the SCG crowd on Saturday.

Indian officials spoke with the ICC match officials and the stadium security after play to make the accusations.

LIVE BLOG: Australia vs India third Test

AUSTRALIA REACTS TO ‘NATIONAL SHAME’

Sunday’s incident sparked a flood of reaction on social media, with cricket icons and supporters voicing their disgust at the allegations.

Cricket commentator and podcaster Geoff Lemon called it a “national shame” and NSW fast bowler bowler Trent Copeland tweeted: “There’s seriously no place for this rubbish. Never understand the need to yell abuse at players on a sporting field, let alone anything like this to India. If you’re not here to watch the cricket, and can’t be respectful, get OUT.”

Former Australian cricketer Lisa Sthalekar posted: “So disappointed with a very small part of the SCG fans, totally embarrassed.”

Cricket reporter Adam Collins tweeted: “It’s shameful that a visitor in our country — not least Siraj, who has performed so joyously at the start of his Test career — has to endure this. And anyone who plays it down … should be condemned.”

Cricket journalist Melinda Farrell said instances of abuse from the stands were “beyond disgusting” while ex-Australian star Alex Blackwell and broadcaster Corbin Middlemas also weighed in.

WHAT WAS SAID?

Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald, a spectator sitting near the fans who were ejected claimed the culprits were taunting Siraj and teammate Jasprit Bumrah, but didn’t hear anything of a racial nature.

“All these boys were doing is a bit of sledging of the player on the outfield,” the spectator said.

“They said, ‘Welcome to Sydney, Siraj’ and then he got the s**ts.”

“That was literally it. Then he walked off.”

CRICKET AUSTRALIA CONDEMNS UGLY BEHAVIOUR

Cricket Australia released a statement on Sunday afternoon, reaffirming its zero-tolerance policy towards discriminatory behaviour in all forms.

Cricket Australia’s Head of Integrity and Security Sean Carroll said: “Cricket Australia condemns in the strongest terms possible all discriminatory behaviour.

“CA is awaiting the outcome of the International Cricket Council’s investigation into the matter reported at the SCG on Saturday. Once those responsible are identified, CA will take the strongest measures possible under our Anti-Harassment Code, including lengthy bans, further sanctions and referral to NSW Police.

“As series hosts, we unreservedly apologise to our friends in the Indian cricket team and assure them we will prosecute the matter to its fullest extent.”

Venues NSW’s Chief Executive Kerrie Mather said CCTV footage was being reviewed to assist the ICC investigation into Saturday’s alleged remarks.

“At the SCG, we pride ourselves on welcoming anyone and everyone in a safe and inclusive environment,” Mather said.

“We are taking this extremely seriously. If those involved are identified, they will be banned from the SCG and all Venues NSW properties under our Act.”

Australia declared on 6/312 in the second innings, setting India a target of 407 runs for victory in the third Test.



Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

en English
X